£28,644 - £33,260 plus competitive benefits
Marketing professionals are responsible for defining and managing customer needs from specific business sectors. Key outputs are across the marketing mix from developing, implementing and monitoring business plans; initiating and utilising market and customer intelligence; proposition development; pricing and communications.
We currently have opportunities for Marketing Managers in two areas of our business: Business Group and Government Services.
In pursuit of its ambitious growth objectives the Business Group undertakes a high level of marketing activity across the marketing mix. To maintain this activity, and with a broad coverage across the industry, marketing support is required to focus on key strategic business activities in our Transport vertical.
The Government Services Directorate is responsible for generating more than £170m pa of Met Office revenue through the Public Weather Service, Defence and Strategic Sector Accounts business areas. External business is managed through strategic customer relationships with government departments and agencies such as MoD, BEIS, Defra, DECC, DfID and the Environment Agency. As the Government agenda and initiatives change we need to continually ensure that we understand our customers and stakeholders and provide services that are valued and provide real benefits to them.
You will get the opportunity to work on a wide range of marketing initiatives such as business planning, product development, marketing communications, market intelligence and pricing.
To manage and deliver marketing activity that improves the understanding, communications and service offerings to our customers.
- Marketing planning: Develop marketing plans that include in year objectives and activities that are based on customer and market understanding as well as business priorities.
- Tactical implementation of marketing activities: Lead the implementation of marketing activities for specific sectors. Monitor and report on performance against plans to ensure business objectives are met.
- Product management: Work with the Met Office’s product team to manage a balanced product portfolio. Provide wider support in the development and delivery of products and services, ensuring they are valued and wanted by customers.
- Communications: Ensure priority stakeholders are informed about Met Office capabilities and offerings so that we are perceived positively. Work with the Communications Team to write and implement communications plans to support current services and business development activities.
- Customer and market intelligence: gather and utilise in-depth customer, competitor, market and product information in order to create effective marketing plans.
- Establish and develop business relationships: build strong internal (and some external) relationships in order to co-ordinate a wide range of marketing activity.
- Pricing: Ensure products and services are priced appropriately.
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
- Has demonstrable track record of resolving unusual/non-standard problems and issues when building up customer propositions and employing different techniques to arrive at the best solution.
- Is able to describe the customer benefits and Unique Selling Points of products and services.
- Can evidence wider aspects of value proposition for products and services and relates that to price and benefits.
- Has a detailed knowledge and practical experience of the marketing planning process including tactical and strategic plans.
- Proven ability to use a range of tools for analysing and creating market, customer, key influencer and competitor strategies without guidance.
- Demonstrable track record of supporting the integration of marketing plans with associated sales, operating or corporate plans.
- Strong communication planning and implementation skills including creating high quality content for campaigns across a number of channels, liaising with external agencies and internal suppliers and strong understanding of importance of maintaining MO brand.
- Good business awareness and the ability to understand customer challenges and needs.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
- Good understanding of Met Office capabilities and current products and services.
- Experience of the Communications planning process, channel selection and implementing communication plans effectively.
- A good awareness of the workings of UK government and the public sector.
- A business or marketing qualification.
Additional Supplementary Information
To apply, please click on the link below and attach the most recent version of your CV, along with a cover letter which briefly (no more than two-pages) states your experience against each essential and desirable criteria.
Key Dates: Closing date 06/12/2018 with interviews expected 17/12/2018. Please note that you will be notified if you are successful or unsuccessful.
Please note, when joining the Met Office all new employees will start on the salary band minimum.
This role will nominally be based in Exeter but we will consider applicants wishing to work elsewhere within the UK.
We are open to this job being performed from other locations and with different working patterns (e.g. part-time, job share) and are willing to explore with any potential candidates whether we can meet the business needs for the role based on their preference for location and/or working pattern.
This recruitment post is not offering UK Visa and Sponsorship and therefore requires all applicants to be eligible to work within the UK / EU without restriction. If you are a non–EU candidate you will be required to provide and attach all relevant eligibility documentation to your application at the time of applying.
This post requires you to gain full security clearance due to the nature of the role. Therefore, in order obtain full clearance you will need to have lived at the same address in the UK for 2 years out of the last 5 years, or lived in the UK for 3 out of the last 5 years if you have lived at various addresses.