Job Title: Marketing Executive
Reporting to: Head of Marketing & Communications and indirectly to Managing Director of the trading company (RWL)
Date: April 2018
Waddesdon Manor is an historic house open to the public. Created by Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild from 1874, it is home to the Rothschild Collection and was bequeathed to the National Trust in 1957.
The Collections are exceptionally rich in fine and decorative arts of the 18thcentury, including English 18th century portraits, French 18th century furniture and porcelain, drawings and works on paper, textiles and, 16th and 17thcentury objets d’art, books and bindings, manuscripts and metalwork, all assembled by three generations of the Rothschild family. Today it is managed by a Rothschild charitable trust, The Rothschild Foundation, under the chairmanship of Lord Rothschild, under an agreement with the owners, the National Trust.
Rothschild Waddesdon Ltd is the trading arm of the Rothschild Foundation, the charitable trust that contributes to the upkeep of Waddesdon Manor, which welcomes over 465,000 visitors a year. The Waddesdon trading company is comprised of five businesses with a turnover of £5.9m in 2017/18 - Catering (£1.8m), the Five Arrows Hotel (£1.3m), the Gift and Wine Shops (£1.3m), Private Events (£1.2m) and Public Events (£300k). All profits from the trading company are covenanted to The Rothschild Foundation to support the conservation, collections and maintenance of Waddesdon as the highest quality visitor experience.
The role of Marketing Executive focuses on all aspects of traditional and digital marketing activity in support of the trading company’s activities. The post holder will be expected to run B2B and B2C campaigns and as a member of the wider marketing team will contribute to Waddesdon’s overall marketing strategy and support its brand and positioning.
Key areas of activity:
- Develop and implement creative marketing campaigns (predominantly digital) to promote and increase sales for the following areas of the trading company’s business:
- The Five Arrows Hotel and its expansion plans
- Weddings at Waddesdon
- Wine at Waddesdon (both wine sales and wine related events)
- The Waddesdon online shop
- Afternoon teas and special events in Waddesdon’s Manor Restaurant
- Fairs at Waddesdon (usually with a food focus – the Artisan Food Markets, Chilli Fest, Feast and the Christmas Fair)
- Measure the success of all campaigns and make improvements for future activity
- Work closely with the Hotel and Events General Manager, Catering Operations Manager, Retail Buyer and Business Development Manager, Head of Business Development and Tourism, and Head of Marketing and Communications to ensure an integrated marketing plan for the trading company that complements Waddesdon’s overall marketing strategy
The successful Marketing Executive will make a visible impact on the trading company’s weekly sales results, monthly profit and loss results and in terms of positive customer feedback. S/he will be expected to contribute to weekly trading company management meetings.
Responsibilities & duties will be to:
- Develop strategies to meet annual sales targets for all the Waddesdon trading businesses and create annual plans for their implementation
- Manage the trading company’s marketing budget and assist with the forward planning in liaison with the managers of each business
- Monitor the outcomes of marketing activity and evaluate against the plans
- Oversee the process of design, production and distribution of printed materials
- Commission and manage outsourced photography, creative and technical work
- Plan and execute SEO, digital marketing, social media and display advertising
- Oversee future development of the hotel website and online shop, maintaining design and content integrity
- Liaise with web colleagues to ensure accurate and prompt uploading of events and other information to Waddesdon and National Trust (Waddesdon) websites and third party websites
- Work with communications team colleagues to secure feature coverage in trade and wedding titles and blogs
- Work with marketing colleagues on the development and use of the contact database, ensuring GDPR requirements are fully met
- Monitor competitor activity to ensure our offer is as appealing as possible
- Carry out any other reasonable duties in line with the post which may be required from time to time.
Skills & experience:
- Proven experience of marketing campaigns that generate sales in B2B and B2C arenas
- Proven experience of managing budgets, achieving targets, business reporting and forecasting
- Comprehensive knowledge of hospitality, events and ecommerce industries
- Excellent prioritisation and time management skills coupled with the ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Ability to work flexibly and successfully across teams and hierarchies and build relationships at all levels including excellent interpersonal skills and evidence of ability to influence decision-making
- Demonstrate flawless attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, IT, social media and office skills
The successful candidate will be an excellent communicator combining marketing drive, campaign creativity and thoroughness in delivery. He/s is likely to have two or three years’ experience in a similar role, and will demonstrate a sound knowledge of digital marketing ideally within a hospitality, corporate events or e-commerce environment.
It's a busy and fast-paced environment so you'll need to be extremely well organised and flexible, able to think on your feet and prioritise your work.
In ordered to be considered for this role, please submit your CV along with a covering letter explaining how your experience and skills match those outlined above (no more than 2 pages of A4), and send by email via the button below.
Deadline for applications: 5pm Monday 7 May 2018
First interviews: Wednesday 16 May
Second interviews: Tuesday 22 May
Terms & conditions:
Salary: £28-£32,000 per annum, depending on experience
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday and including occasional weekend/evenings
and some out-of-hours social media activity
Place of work: The role is office based at the Manor. Please be aware that there is limited public transport to Waddesdon
Holiday: 25 days per annum
Pension: National Trust contributory pension scheme
Other: National Trust Staff Card which entitles free entry for two people at all National Trust properties and a discount in their shops