The Trust’s Mission and Values
To champion all London’s green spaces through public participation and volunteer action; conserve historic significance; and celebrate horticultural excellence.
• Increase the enjoyment and understanding of London’s green spaces for all
• Be the voice of the sector in relation to issues affecting historic parks and gardens in London
• Offer advice and guidance on the appropriate conservation management and maintenance of historic green spaces across the capital.
Purpose of role:
We are seeking a hard working and motivated individual to join the London Parks and Gardens Trust team, to develop and implement the Trust’s Marketing and Social Media strategy. This will include working towards the Trusts flagship annual event, Open Garden Squares Weekend (OGSW), a major cross-London event which sees in excess of 20,000 visitors over a weekend in June. This role is forward-looking, creative and innovative and will lead the implementation of the Trust’s audience focused social media relations and marketing strategy to reinvigorate and drive the Trust’s brand to attract members and increase membership income. This post represents a step-change in the aspirations of the Trust in becoming the voice of London’s parks, gardens and green spaces.
The role will report directly to the Events Manager, working closely with the London Parks and Gardens Trust team, and with our network of volunteers. The Marketing and Social Media Coordinator will act as the content-hub for the Trust, creating copy, direct mailings, and ensuring our web presence is up-to-date and well presented, in particular with regards promoting OGSW and other events.
The role will keep abreast of new technology, trends and opportunities, ensuring our message reaches the wider audience alongside targeted campaigns.
London Parks & Gardens Trust is a charity, with a small team of paid staff, based in Central London with a membership of approximately 500 people and a network of c.250 volunteers.
We are affiliated to The Gardens Trust. We aim to increase knowledge and appreciation of parks, squares, community gardens, cemeteries, and churchyards across London. We have a statutory role in the planning system for historic landscapes.
With the support of our active volunteers we also provide and enjoy lectures, walks, and events such as Open Gardens Squares Weekend, produce a newsletter and journal, research papers, and maintain an on-line inventory of historic green spaces.
KEY RESULTS AREA
1). Coordinating, planning and delivering exciting social media content
You will maintain and manage the Trust’s social media communications, including Twitter feeds, Instagram and Facebook. You will work closely with staff and volunteers on the development of social media campaigns and their implementation ensuring synergies and efficiencies in channel use. You will plan and implement a rolling activity strategy which increases the Trust’s profile; supports revenue generation; supports volunteer activities; supports a programme of public events and promotes our role in research, planning and conservation. Using segmentation research you will identify and establish priority audiences.
2). Reputation management
You will maintain good working relationships through fast, effective response to media requests, as appropriate, including some out of hours cover during our flagship event.
In coordination with the Trust’s freelance PR consultant, you will manage the Trust’s reputation in the media by clearly articulating and communicating the organisation’s desired image through social media channels.
You will provide regular feedback to the Board of Trustees and adapt social media output according to the strategic direction of the organisation.
3). Monitoring, evaluation and reporting
You will monitor and evaluate the value of media, providing the Events Manager with regular reports and evaluations on statistics, reach and popularity throughout the year.
You will be foreword thinking and proactive off the back of your regular reporting, on how we can grow our reach and attract new audiences.
4). Creating and managing content through all channels
You will be the ‘content-hub’ for the Trust creating copy for advertorials, visitor guides, PR activities, direct mailings and campaigns ensuring the Trust’s web presence is up to date and presented.
You will ensure that the Trust’s website pages are up to date and managed with all relevant visitor and event information.
You will be responsible for creating exciting and informative content to the Open Garden Squares Weekend Mailing list, via Mailchimp, working to a content strategy and timeline which you will create.
5). Supporting and producing Marketing Materials
The Trust publishes a number of different types of literature which you will support on; a regular glossy magazine, an annual journal and a variety of e-communications.
You will be responsible for checking the Open Garden Squares Weekend guidebook prior to publication, ensuring details provided are an accurate reflection of what is on offer.
You will work with the Marketing and Events Manager in ensuring all marketing materials are up to date and consistent, and help to establish and develop the Trusts brand guidelines, working with external contractors where required.
6). Cross marketing opportunities
You will develop new and exciting cross-marketing opportunities for the Trust, in particular around Open Garden Squares Weekend, as well as managing and growing current relationships.
7). Photo library and Archive
You will take responsibility for managing and expanding a digital photo archive, and encouraging access to it seeking cross-channel links. You will be responsible for ensuring that all photographs from OGSW are accurately labeled, credited, and filed in to the appropriate catalogue.
Personal Attributes, Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- A highly organised individual with the ability to forward plan
- Ability to set, deliver and evaluate own performance against objectives and show accountability for work
- Highly motivated to achieve results
- Diplomatic and persuasive with the tenacity to negotiate internally with colleagues who may not understand the importance of social media and marketing work
- Ability to communicate effectively and confidently
- An interest in all aspects of parks, gardens and green space in London is desirable
Knowledge and Experience:
- Relevant and significant social media marketing experience with Twitter, Instagram, Facebook
- Proven experience of team working demonstrating willingness to get stuck into other tasks
- Successful experience of writing and posting copy for a wide variety of social media and digital materials; developing and implementing social media strategies from start to finish; and maintaining a ‘branded’ digital presence
- Experience of updating websites and web copy in parallel with other social media
- Experience of managing and working with a variety of volunteers
- Experience of creating mailings
- Experience of building cause-based campaigns desirable
- Expert IT skills – including website management, coding and use of social management dashboards such as Hootsuite
- Ability to use analytics to understand markets for promotions
Send Covering Letter and CV to: email@example.com
Deadline for Applications: Friday 24 November
Interview Dates: Wednesday 6 December and Thursday 7 December