Innovation and New Product Development Manager
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Purpose of the Role:
A New Services Development Manager will conceive and develop new products taking into consideration the design, commerciality and business / professional services related technical issues.
You will have full responsibility for the end-to-end business introduction of new services within the company, working closely with key stakeholders including their Sales and Marketing Teams etc. to ensure that new products and services are made available to customers to an agreed timeline.
Where current services are already established you will work with key stakeholders who will have deep subject matter expertise to further develop and modernise our services.
A key success factor of this senior role is to ensure that the new product design is interpreted and delivered to the correct standard.
Our client is a a major UK employer’s organization providing a range of largely people related support services to its members and clients alongside its key policy and representation role.
Employing around 400 staff, its services are provided through regional offices around the UK, with key practices focused on employment law, HR, Health, Safety & Environment as well as a venues/conference business, Apprentices & Skills training and Occupational Health capabilities
Services are provided to over 4,000 member organisations and hundreds of non-member clients through a variety of contracting methods including a predominant annual membership subscription model
Key Role Objectives:
Our client has high ambitions for its customers and it is planned to continuously improve their existing product offering and where necessary refocus / redefine and grow their strategy for this vital portfolio. Objectives need to be designed and implemented to address a number of key areas including:
- Help shape the vision for their future offering; products that have been based on in depth market awareness and upon a more systematic engagement with customer’s future strategies;
- Developing new opportunities based on known strategies and programmes and taking into account the pulse of the market, the views of our customers and the business services team to enhance our offerings and increase product value;
- Create the economic models to substantiate investment proposals and inform our product pricing strategy.
Role Responsibilities & Duties:
- Assist in the development of new products and services aimed at a wide range of customer accounts;
- Link member/customer strategic plans and programmes with development and adaptation of appropriate product offerings as required;
- Responsibility for leading product/service offering with a go to market approach and associated business case formulation;
- Working closely with Business Unit Heads/Product owners and Marketing through establishment of feedback mechanisms;
- Distill complex business services concepts with clear visual design and writing for products, and business operations and stakeholders;
- Explore innovation in other industries with an eye toward applying those innovations to our client's range of business services products;
- Provide ideas and insights into how the company can work to create amazing product experiences for its customers;
- Act as their champion for the company's formal New Product Development system;
- Prioritise and manage project resources to resolve issues and conflicts - identify solutions to issues that would otherwise prevent project progress and final completion;
- Operate within prescribed governance parameters including business quality, risk, reporting regimes and delegated authorities.
Preferred Qualifications / Skills & Experience
- Degree educated and/or a proven track record with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a new product development role;
- in particular having led a NPD project from scratch ready for launch ideally within professional services organisations;
- Demonstrate that you have owned and directed the product management process (competitive analysis, requirements;
- Provide samples of work that you consider exemplary of a customer-centric focused delivery of services;
- Experience of building an entrepreneurial, creative, innovative approach to your own consumer facing product or service offering;
- Success measures must be defined at the inception of a product and tracked throughout its lifecycle. Make measures visible to all stakeholders and interpret them into actionable conclusions;
- Have the ability to present recommendations in senior management forums - up to executive board level;
There is flexibility around where this role is located. At this stage a midlands base would be preferable but for the right candidate we can be flexible.