Job Title: Head of Marketing
Contract: 12 Month FTC - Maternity Cover
Manager: Senior Director, Creative Marketing & PR
Location: Hawley Crescent
Who you are;
The Head of Marketing will support the Senior Director of Marketing, Creative and PR in developing the marketing strategy and creating a tactical plan and roadmap to achieve the company’s business objectives. Responsible for the management of the UK Marketing Team, the candidate will inspire and oversee the development of ambitious, innovative and effective marketing campaigns. He/she will lead the marketing team as the ultimate champion of our brand and audience, a youth-expert who is committed to consistently understanding our audiences; their relationships, aspirations, concerns, interests and media habits. This role is strategically critical as the facilitator of all channel relationships. The candidate will have a proven track record in successfully driving the strategic planning, implementation and delivery of projects. The Head of Marketing will build high level relationships both internally and externally and be a key point person for the UK Cluster group, consisting of Russia, Nordics, Poland and CEE Markets. As a key member of the management team, the Head of Marketing will provide insight and marketing perspective to inform and influence the rest of the business. Lead 360 communications and drive it through the business, ensuring synergy in all communication. Drive brand image and awareness, seeking out opportunities to reinforce the MTV brand values.
What you'll be doing;
Leading Team to Success
- Provide clear overall vision and direction to the Marketing Team
- Train and develop a team to deliver on business objectives
- Reward and challenge individuals with a clearly defined set of goals and development plans, and conduct appraisals for direct reports
- Regular team and 1:1 meetings to ensure personal targets and development plans are maximised
- Ensure the team executes effective campaigns to defined deadlines outlined in the Marketing Strategy
- Reviewing and implementing most effective team structures to deliver results
- Work closely with the other Viacom Marketing Heads (BET, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon and Channel 5) to ensure cross-network opportunities are taken advantage of and best practises are shared
UK Cluster & International
- Cultivate strong collaborative relationship with the central international Marketing team based in New York
- Attend regular calls with UK Cluster Marketing Teams with VP MTV & Snr Director to ensure clear communications, strategic best practices, and that resources and assets are shared
- Work with VP and Senior Director of Marketing on annual budget plans and marketing strategy, presenting detailed campaign plans to senior stakeholders regularly.
- Present recommended paid media approaches to CMO and CFO per quarter
- Create strategy and lead 360-degree Marketing projects in collaboration with
- Director of Creative, Head of Publicity, Head of Media Planning and Senior Director of Creative Marketing and PR
- Manage the 360 process consisting of team members from different areas of the business to ensure cohesive
- and synergistic campaigns from all disciplines.
- Oversee the management of all Marketing campaigns; both paid and owned.
- Be best in class for Social Media strategies, empowering the Marketing team to create and roll out engaging and bespoke social media content for priority campaigns
- The ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously, perform under pressure and pay close attention to detail while staying focused on the big picture
- Execute programs once they are activated, problem solve - acting decisively if changes need to be made
- Write clear, concise and inspiring strategic and creative briefs which deliver on the brand identity and attend shoots where necessary
- Attend weekly senior management meetings and disseminate information to the Marketing Team
Partnership & Relationship Building
- Chair the 360 meetings, setting forward the agenda and creating an atmosphere that stimulates debate and enables game-changing ideas to emerge
- Work hand in hand with Head of Publicity, Director of Creative, Senior Director of Creative, Marketing and PR, Head of Media Planning to adhere to one central, overarching communication strategy
- Manage the relationships with the media agency (PHD) and creative and digital agencies ensuring our marketing budget returns a positive ROI and business targets are met.
- Write clear and concise briefs that deliver solid plans.
- Oversee the Marketing Manager and Marketing Executive in the delivery of effective and innovative partnerships with third party media and brands
- Lead relationship with key contacts at all Social Media platforms to ensure MTV is across developments and are front of mind for new opportunities.
- Manage the senior level affiliate partner relationships e.g. SKY, VIRGIN to ensure MTV is positioned front of mind and hosting quarterly update meetings
- Alongside Brand Manager, maintain good relationships with production companies to ensure clear communication on storylines and content requests
- Build close collaborative relationships with key internal stakeholders e.g. Media Planning, Creative, Digital, Programming, Talent&Music, Music Programming, Press & Corporate Comms to identify key programming opportunities to maximise ratings and ensure an integrated 360 approach
- Attend regular commissioning and editorial meetings to ensure Marketing is represented, offering up ideas and solutions to create effective marketing USPs.
Budgets & Legal
- Work with Marketing VP and Senior Director Creative, Marketing and PR to negotiate the annual marketing budget with the business heads, working on incremental budget asks where required.
- Management and accountability of the overall marketing budget including media spend, agency fees and integrated lines.
- Work with the Senior Director of Creative, Marketing and PR on the budget fulfilment and monitoring
- Ensure the marketing team conduct a monthly review of Purchase Orders and spending commitments to remain within agreed budgets.
- Create a strong working relationship with both finance and legal ensuring all relevant documentation and information is in place in accordance with sound business practises
- Attend bi-weekly legal meetings and monthly finance meetings
- Delivering on brand effectiveness
- Work regularly and closely with the internal research team to use and commission audience insights and ratings analysis to develop activity that targets, engages and drives results
- Support the VP in commissioning qual and quant research
- Create dynamic and clear presentations to sell in strategies and recommendations to senior management
- Create presentations for VP Marketing and Senior Director Creative, Marketing and PR where needed
- Present in front of the entire company at Town Hall meetings and to external partners, distributors
- Represent the marketing team, promoting influence within the company and externally e.g. industry seminars
You will have;
- Proven track record in defining strategy and translating that into tactical plans that achieve business objectives
- Ability to demonstrate previous experience in leading 360 integrated communications strategies encompassing; publicity, advertising, experiential marketing, on-air, events and digital
- Successful track record in working on high profile ABL advertising campaigns ensuring they run on time and on budget
- Proven track record in devising and implementing successful social media campaigns
- In depth understanding of every aspect of the TV business and MTV’s competitive set
- Solid experience and understanding of production best practises related to creation of TV Advertising, Print, Digital and Third party sponsor integration
- Extensive third party media, entertainment and brand contact list
- Ability to challenge the status-quo and refine innovative solutions to highly complex problems
- Develop and share approaches and best practises with team
- Proven track record in problem solving, decisive decision making, flexible to change and adept at communicating
- Extremely efficient with an eye for detail as well as the ability to think big
- Highly organised with strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritise and juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be resourceful, proactive and detail-orientated and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Outstanding time management
- Candidate must be an enthusiastic creative thinker and team player
- You will have experience facilitating dialogue between groups and forges links between team members and wider company e.g. key stake holders in Publicity, Media Planning, Creative, Programming
- Previous experience of managing a team
- A passion for entertainment and youth culture
- Educated to degree level desirable, open to alternative higher learning qualifications
At Viacom, we value and celebrate difference. We want to ensure that we fully represent the make-up of UK society in our workforce as well as bringing diverse perspectives to our business. We want to make sure Diversity and Inclusion are not just buzz words; we truly want to foster an authentic inclusive environment, where all employees feel that they can bring their whole selves to work. This should be embedded in our recruitment practices to ensure we hire the best talent and enrich our mix. So when you are hiring for your team, think outside the box, be open minded and champion difference.
This job description is a guide to the work you will be initially required to undertake. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances. It does not form part of your contract of employment and as your experience grows you will be expected to broaden your tasks, suggest improvements, solve problems and enhance the effectiveness of the role. THIS FORM SUMMARISES THE MAIN ASPECTS OF THE JOB BUT DOES NOT COVER ALL THE DUTIES THAT THE JOB HOLDER MAY HAVE TO PERFORM.