Title: Director, Marketing and Communications
Location: London, UK
Salary: £45,000-£55,000 GBP (depending on experience)
About the World Green Building Council
The World Green Building Council is a global network of Green Building Councils in over 70 countries which is transforming the places we live, work, play, heal and learn.
Buildings are diverse and beautiful but they must also be sustainable. We believe green buildings can and must be at the centre of our lives. Our changing climate means we must reshape the way we grow and build. Our mission is to create green buildings for everyone, everywhere - enabling people to thrive both today and tomorrow. By taking action, we champion local and global leadership. We empower our community to drive change. We are greater than the sum of our parts, and commit to green buildings for everyone, everywhere.
The WorldGBC Marketing and Communications Director
The Director will be seeking a career-defining role, ready to support and deliver on the ambition of an organisation with significant and growing global influence.
The Director will lead the WorldGBC’s marketing and communications approach to convince the world of the urgency and benefits of green building – and how we can change the world through our built environment. She/he will lead and implement an ambitious and innovative marketing and communications strategy in collaboration with global staff, member Green Building Councils, and 25,000 corporate members.
The Director will be strategic, innovative and creative but also a “do-er” – willing and able to draft blogs, press releases and news stories; as well as support, coach and brainstorm with staff and GBCs in multiple locations to draw out good stories and create communications opportunities. She/he will be a compelling story teller, and understand the opportunities and challenges of communicating climate change and sustainability to a wide audience.
The Director will report to the CEO, manage the Marketing and Communications Officer, and oversee WorldGBC’s relationships with agencies and contractors with a small but growing budget. International travel will be a key part of the role, with at least 4-6 trips per year and opportunities to speak at key global events.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement an external marketing and communications strategy and implementation plan to advance awareness of green building, and expand the influence of the WorldGBC and its network of GBCs;
- Lead the shaping and delivery of cross-media global campaigns, particularly the flagship World Green Building Week;
- Lead and facilitate the WorldGBC Communications Network of marketing and communications staff at Green Building Councils - collaborating with individual GBCs around the world to develop and amplify compelling stories about their impact; as well as supporting growth and development of small Green Building Councils own communications functions;
- Lead WorldGBCs web and social media strategy, supervising the Marketing and Communications Officer’s management of social media and working closely with staff, GBCs and agencies to create content and optimise web user-experience;
- Work independently and with agencies to manage press relations, write press releases, and encourage coverage of the green building movement around the world in high profile, mainstream publications, and forge content partnerships with major publications and media outlets;
- Work closely with the WorldGBC global and regional projects, including Advancing Net Zero, Better Places for People, Building Efficiency Accelerator (cities); Energy Efficient Mortgages Action Plan, Asia Pacific Regional / MENA Awards to embed marketing and communications within key activities and support project goals through high influence and media coverage;
- Lead WorldGBC’s involvement in events, including the annual Congress hosted in different countries, engagement in the UN’s “COP” and other key influential events such as Climate Week NYC; oversee the WorldGBC Speakers’ Bureau, with support from the Marketing and Communications Officer placing WorldGBC staff, Board members and partners at major events all around the world;
- Manage the development and distribution of all print and electronic collateral, including the Annual Report, fundraising brochures, research publications, event invitations, powerpoint templates, and infographics;
- Manage internal communications, ensuring quality and coordinated communication to the GBCs through newsletters, and the ‘Basecamp’ tool.
Experience and Skills
- 8+ years of marketing/communications experience, preferably working within climate change and/or the building and construction industry;
- Demonstrated commitment and passion for the WorldGBC mission;
- A strong track record of creativity and innovation;
- Experience of forging strong relationships with those of influence, in areas including climate change, business, mainstream national and global media, media partners, global events, etc.;
- Excellent and compelling story teller with the ability to coach colleagues;
- A superb writer and editor, with the ability to change tones and style;
- Demonstrated experience in social media as well as print and electronic communications, graphic design;
- Experience and interest in working with countries all around the world.
Please submit your CV and cover letter to email@example.com by 5 pm GMT January 2 2018.