The Royal Meteorological Society is the UK’s professional and learned Society for Weather and Climate and is respected around the world for its contribution to meteorology. The Society is a registered charity and its programmes of work include providing professional accreditation, developing educational resources and skills, producing scientific publications, holding public and professional meetings and events, giving advice to Government and policy makers, and a growing role in providing information to the public on the science of weather and climate change.
Summary of role
The Digital Marketing Manager has a key role in developing and delivering the digital marketing strategy to maximise data, content, platforms, channels, audience engagement, conversion rates, brand awareness and other potential business benefits.
The Digital Marketing Manager will play a key role in managing and enhancing our digital presence in delivering engaging stories, features and news that communicates the value of our work to drive awareness of the Society and our key messages, increase membership, accreditation and volunteers.
- Work with the Head of Partnerships and Communications Manager to develop our digital marketing strategy as part of the Marketing and Communications Strategy, Annual Action Plans and Budgets, identifying key audiences, messages and calls to action.
- Build strong and productive collaborative working relationships internally and externally to help deliver the digital marketing strategy.
- Work collaboratively with the Communications Manager to develop integrated marketing communication campaigns to:
- Broaden reach of the Society’s key messaging with the aim of converting audiences and stakeholders to members and volunteers.
- Develop and deliver compelling digital member and supporter journeys to encourage individuals to deepen their engagement with the Society to improve retention and increase accreditation numbers.
- Use existing research, including existing personas, and analysis to develop our online presence and activity to increase reach, engagement and interaction with members and stakeholders and maintain a strong external image and brand.
- Oversee and improve our e-marketing activities to ensure messages are consistent and in line with branding guidelines including all events, shop, membership, education and publications updates.
- Lead on the development of content developed in collaboration with the Communications Manager to ensure content is effectively utilised across communication channels and follows brand and house guidelines.
- Ensure the Society’s digital marketing activities lead the way in delivering brand engagement and manage the Society’s Brand Guidelines.
- Manage the Society’s websites and monitor and review their functionality and structure to ensure they deliver the Society’s requirements. Work collaboratively with the IT Project Manager and external providers to improve where necessary and possible.
- Develop, update and monitor content and images across the Society’s websites, ensuring SEO maximization and best practice, social media and other digital channels including drafting copy, uploading and editing articles and liaising with the IT Project Manager and external developers for technical support.
- Work collaboratively with the IT Project Manager and external developers to ensure effective functionality of website links to other systems including CRM, ACCSYS, event registration to deliver an excellent user experience.
- To manage our data and GDPR responsibilities and act as the Society’s Data Protection Officer.
- Oversee the design and production of printed material, branded assets and promotional items ensuring consistent implementation of the brand.
- Work with colleagues to identify advertising opportunities, including print and digital, and plan and deliver effective advertising campaigns.
- Stay abreast of trends, developments and opportunities, advising the team on how we can most effectively use these to achieve our strategic objectives.
- Offer strategic advice to colleagues on digital marketing issues and approaches, ensuring that they make the most of the marketing opportunities to enhance the impact of their work.
- Work with the Communications Manager to develop cost effective ways of monitoring and evaluating the impact of our digital activities to make sure we are deploying our resources effectively.
- Plan, develop and oversee the production of digital content including videos, podcasts and live streaming events creating promotional, informational and interview style content.
- Manage the digital marketing budget.
From time-to-time, in common with other staff, the post holder will be expected to help on a short-term basis with any task that is necessary to ensure that the Society and its events run efficiently. When required, it will be necessary to attend Society meetings, either in London or across the UK, to assist with organisational activities and promote the work of the Society.
Required skills and competencies
- Successful track record of working in a digital marketing role with experience of delivering digital marketing strategies and an ability to identify opportunities to deliver business goals and objectives.
- Experience across the full digital marketing mix and experience of leading on integrated digital marketing campaigns and strategies.
- Strong understanding of the different channels within digital marketing and their connectivity.
- Demonstrable ability to exercise sound editorial judgement and brand guardianship.
- Strong creative design and editing skills and excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent planning and project management skills with the ability to work to deadlines and schedules.
- Strong analytical skills, including Google Analytics. Good data analysis/ insight skills, preparing reports around user behaviour.
- Strong interest in technology or digital marketing with an in-depth knowledge of digital platforms and the latest best practice.
- Technical ability, or willingness to learn, to help manage and improve the functionality of our on-line resources.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both internal and client-facing.
- Self-motivated team player who uses their own initiative, is proactive in meeting tight deadlines, thinks creatively and embraces new ideas and ways of working.
In addition, it would be desirable, although not essential for the role, if the individual has:
- An interest in weather and/or climate.
- A degree in marketing, business studies, digital media or graphic design.
Details and benefits
The position is based at the Society’s Headquarters in Reading. The role does on occasion require travelling in the UK and sometimes overseas. This is a full-time post working 37 hours per week, although the Society is willing to consider reduced hours working a minimum of 30 hours per week. The Society actively supports flexible working arrangements where practical.
The post holder is entitled to 24.5 days holiday leave per year. This increases to 27.5 days after two years and then 32.5 days per year on completion of more than 12 years’ service. This holiday entitlement is in addition to the 8 public holidays. These entitlements are based on full-time hours and reduce pro rata for part time working. In addition to the holiday benefits the Society pays 10% of salary as its employer’s pension contribution.
The Digital Marketing Manager will report to the Head of Partnerships.
The closing date for this job is 13 January 2020. Please note, you must have a right to work in the UK in order to be eligible for this role.