As Design Team Leader, you will be responsible for managing, inspiring and mentoring the team of OLIVER designers, art workers and copywriters here at 3M. You will ensure that the level of creative output remains high, but that you also challenge the client and designers in order to raise the creative bar within the parameters of their brand guidelines…and maybe even sometimes bend the rules a bit. Being able to spot or create opportunities to make the brand famous is what is needed.
Your knowledge of the design industry will also be invaluable, as will your ability to share this knowledge with your team and clients. Plus a proven ability to work at a conceptual level, as well as design, would be a great asset.
We are looking for an individual who has previously worked as part of an agency or brand team and can demonstrate team leadership as well being able to assist the team with project delivery – whether through direction or by a ‘hands-on/leading by example’ approach.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Passionate about design and communication.
- Effectively manage people through leadership and mentoring
- Be a role model for the team and inspire them to deliver excellent creative
- Ability to work to and optimise processes to ensure efficient delivery of all projects
- Work with account management to help filter workflow for the team as well as themselves
- Guardian of the client’s brand guidelines
- Working knowledge of digital design and its requirements is a benefit as you will be managing a digital designer along with the rest of the team
- Management of schedule, ticketing and content management systems a benefit (but this will be taught)
- Ensure that the QC/proofing process runs smoothly and ensure the team is accountable for the work sent to client and print
Role-specific skills, knowledge and experience
- Highly creative with the ability to produce design collateral within brand guidelines and agreed timescales.
- Be ambitious to create great work and find solutions that challenge conventional thinking when the opportunity presents itself
- Excellent client engagement skills with the ability to proactively organise and influence clients and build strong and effective working relationships
- To have previously managed a team, pro-actively managed multiple projects and work to tight deadlines. You will be coming into an existing team that requires a strong lead
- Experience of developing creative ideas and be confident presenting these to the client
- To be self-motivated, working with little supervision
- Strong Adobe CS (InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator)
- Relevant design/creative qualification
- Relevant knowledge across production, print and digital media
- Awareness of emerging trends in design
- Good time management skills
- Confident and articulate, with the ability to voice and share ideas and opinions both internally and with clients.
- Great team player with a client-centric focus and possess the ability to build strong and effective working relationships
- Confidence to lead a weekly team meeting where the design team can voice any feedback and share their work for collaborative input
- The drive to actively seek out opportunities for the account
- Confident in your own abilities and be able to proactively influence clients and manage their expectations.
- Strong communication skills and ensure that internal processes are maintained and improved.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Excel and Powerpoint