Hours: Part-time - 3 days a week (21 hours pw)
About the Council
The Town Council represents the thriving and picturesque Henley-on-Thames,
bordered by both the Chilterns and the River Thames. Henley is renowned for its
beautiful market town facilities, its sporting achievements, and an ever-growing
programme of cultural and recreational events.
The Town Council is the first tier of local government, with 16 councillors and a staff of c.30. We are one of the busiest town councils in the country, providing a wide range of quality services including parks, recreation grounds, open spaces, sports and arts facilities, allotments, cemetery, moorings, car parks, a visitor information service, and community buildings. We also have an extensive property portfolio and significant financial investments.
We are a very ambitious town council, dedicated not only to fulfilling our statutory
functions, but leading on a wide range of projects and services to benefit the community. Amongst our current projects, the Council is reviewing its Neighbourhood Plan; developing a transport strategy, including a new bus service
and measures to improve parking and traffic in the town centre; working on a project to create a new sports pavilion, pitches, parks depot, and more affordable housing for the town; tackling the climate emergency; and supporting businesses and tourism as they recover from the COVID-19 crisis.
Purpose of the role
This is an exciting opportunity for a community-focussed and experienced
communications manager to join our team and help us engage with our vibrant
community. Whilst the Council has been ambitious its projects, it has lagged behind on how it communicates with its residents and other stakeholders. The successful candidate will take the lead on improving how we engage, and how we promote our brand, services and amenities; focusing on developing our digital profile.
Projects will include developing a brand new website; reinvigorating our social media channels; improving the Information Centre; promoting the Council’s commercial activities to generate more income; creating a community engagement strategy; and refreshing our branding guidelines.
The successful candidate will also manage, and be assisted by, our dedicated
Information Centre staff, and will be responsible for their training and professional
Duties and responsibilities
1. To manage the Henley Town Council website, including having editorial control of content; ensuring there is good access to information on Council services, policies and meetings; and making sure it meets accessibility standards.
2. To manage the branding of Henley Town Council, including working across teams and with councillors to ensure a consistent and professional image in accordance with the values and objectives of the Council.
3. To manage the Council’s media presence and relationships, including newspapers, radio, TV, websites, and social media channels.
4. To create newsletters and other material to promote the work of the Council.
5. To manage the Information Centre ensuring it delivers a high standard of service to residents and visitors; and managing the performance and welfare of its staff.
6. To be responsible for the promotion of the Council’s commercial activities,
including the hire of rooms, art gallery, pitches, and other spaces; and
7. To assist and advise other teams on coordinating public consultations and carrying out market research.
8. To produce and present reports and recommendations to the Council on
improvements to the Council’s communication and community engagement
9. To monitor the Council’s data management procedures, including data protection, freedom of information requests, and complaints procedure.
10. To carry out other such duties as may be required by the Council.
1. Strong skills in developing (and promoting brands through) social media channels
2. Impeccable IT skills, including experience of website content management
3. An eye for detail, especially in copy writing and editorial
4. Proven skills in marketing products and driving sales
5. Self-motivated and able to work under own initiative
6. Experience of successful project management and delivery
7. Excellent organizational skills
8. Awareness of the role of the Town Council in the local government
9. Excellent oral and written communication skills
10. Ability to present sound, well-presented advice to a variety of audiences
11. Flexibility in order to attend occasional evening meetings
12. The ability to operate with impartiality in a political environment
13. Educated to graduate level or above
14. User experience (UX) designer training and experience
15. Experience working with the different tiers of local government or the third
The hours of work are 21 per week, normally during office hours, although with
occasional evening commitments.
The Town Council is an equal opportunities employer and committed to good staff
welfare. This includes flexible working arrangements and the option to work
remotely, duties permitting.
The Town Council also offers a very generous pension scheme.
The position is based at the Town Hall in the centre of Henley, close to all local
For more information, please contact the Town Clerk, Sheridan Jacklin-Edward, on 07595 608577 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.