The UN Global Compact Network UK is part of the world’s largest responsible business initiative. We connect UK companies and other organisations in a global movement dedicated to driving sustainable growth. We promote practical sustainability leadership, share knowledge across sectors, and shape the business environment to create a world we want to live and do business in.
The UN Global Compact’s Ten Principles, rooted in UN treaties, provide a robust foundation from which we lead UK business action on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Our mission is to turn global momentum on sustainability into practical local action.
Our strategic plan has three pillars:
- Inspiring business ambition to deliver the Global Goals
- Enabling practical action for sustainable business growth
- Shaping a responsible business environment
The Communications & Marketing Manager (Maternity Cover) will be responsible for managing the Network's interface with external partners and engagement with Network members.
This is an exciting role with the opportunity to develop skills in partnership development, lead generation, analysis & reporting and content marketing. You will be part of the United Nations family working in a purpose-driven organisation seeking to create a better future for business, society and the environment.
It is a maternity cover to start, but there is potential for this position to transition into a permanent role due the current growth of the agency.
You will play an integral part in the team; responsible for planning, coordinating and executing marketing plans to ensure our programmes reach the right people at the right time. You’ll be involved in content marketing as well as building important and lasting media partnerships for the organisation. Your focus will primarily lie in external marketing and outreach.
The successful candidate will need excellent time and project management skills, strong phone communication and negotiation qualities and above all, an enthusiasm to co-ordinate the ‘nuts and bolts of marketing’. The role is also the perfect opportunity to get a solid grounding in the fundamentals of marketing setting you on the path for progression within the organisation or building your skill set for future roles.
The main tasks will be to:
- Manage communications via website, social media, event marketing, and PR.
- Increase awareness and recognition of the organisation. This may include:
- Developing relationships with key media to grow coverage both online and offline.
- Writing UK press releases, including adapting those from UNGC HQ to the UK market.
- Developing original content.
- Work with Programme Managers throughout an event/programme cycle to ensure that sufficient attendees are confirmed.
- Maintain and improve relationships with media/event partners.
- Create your marketing schedule.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders in member companies and other organisations operating in the sustainable business arena.
- Evaluate marketing campaigns using Google Analytics and reporting on media partners results – leads acquired, new leads acquired, cost per lead.
- Achieve targets for database growth as set by the Executive Director by bringing in new leads via social media, industry partners and media partnerships, suggesting new ways to grow the database, highlighting areas that are not performing well and instigating change.
The UN Global Compact Network UK has a very broad remit, but the Network Secretariat team is small, so the Communications & Marketing Manager may be required to support other activities from time to time.
- Marketing and Communications experience.
- Proactive and self-motivated.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Able to make engaging content for different audiences from sometimes complex and sensitive information.
- Ability to recognise the connections between issues.
- Media liaison experience.
- Digital comms/social media skills.
- Able to build effective relationships and networks.
- A ‘can do’ attitude and ability to work well under pressure.
- Knowledge of the UN Global Compact, the SDGs, and the responsible business agenda.